The modern bathroom has become a refuge, spa and important style element, putting emphasis on creative bathroom lighting. Bath light ideas favor both mood and task options. Homes waiting for a bathroom remodel Waukesha WI often have more than one bathroom, each open to its own bath light ideas and creative bathroom lighting applications.
Bathroom lighting is almost an afterthought in many home designs, but modern interior designers are taking a better approach. Selection of bathroom lights should get the same attention to detail all the other fixtures in the home. Maybe more since they play an important role in the way the room functions – and space is usually limited.
When developing your bath light ideas, keep in mind:
- The bathroom should be bright and clean
- Available natural light is a bonus
- Overhead lighting can mimic natural light for an open affect – find a color temperature that makes the room inviting
- Color temperature of light bulbs are measured in degrees Kelvin
- The best color temperature for a bathroom is Cool White/Bright White or Daylight
- Most light bulb packages describe bulbs as Soft White (2700K-3000K), Cool White/Bright White (3500K – 4100K) and Daylight (5000K-6500K)
- Task lighting – makeup areas around mirrors, etc. – is a key element
- Shadows are unacceptable
- Different bathrooms are designed for different uses – powder room vs. master bath – so creating an atmosphere for relaxing may be vital in one but not the other
- DESIGNER TIP – Looking to create a relaxing atmosphere? Consider a dimmer switch on overhead lights.
- Be flexible as you consider creative bathroom lighting
Begin Creative Bathroom Lighting Process at the Ceiling
The first concern for a new bathroom is overall light. Appropriate ceiling lights can brighten a room and make a relatively small room seem larger. You’ll need bath light ideas for:
- Overall area – ceiling lights, either recessed or ceiling-mounted
- Task lighting for around the mirrors and sinks
- Lighting for bathtubs and shower areas – these can be for mood, relaxation, but are especially important to provide safe access and even if you need some skilled fencing construction to get the tubes from the street to the bathroom trough them.
Task Lighting – Bath Light Ideas to Meet Daily Demands
The lights in a bathroom’s “work area,” also called Vanity Lighting, get top billing in a new lighting plan because they are the fixtures that must illuminate the head and face for grooming.
Tips for selecting and using task lighting include:
- Avoid installing recessed lighting directly above mirrors, it casts shadows on the face.
- DESIGNER TIP – not only does overhead lighting create shadows making shaving or applying makeup more difficult, experts say it can age your image by as much as 10 years.
- Vertical fixture or sconces mounted on either side of a mirror are best, especially in a powder room setting.
- As creative design dictates that mirrors get larger, mounting light fixtures in the mirror has become an option.
Lighting Tubs and Showers
As bathroom designs include larger tubs and larger, walk-in showers the need for creative bathroom lighting expands to these critical areas. Show and tub lighting provide for specific tasks, but unlike vanity lights, tub and shower fixtures should be installed directly above where you stand or recline. In this case they are more of a safety element than design addition.
Additional Creative Bathroom Lighting Options
Once the basic demands for bathroom lights have been met bath light ideas can wander to additional forms to complete the décor. These additional options can be divided into categories such as:
- Accent Lighting — Custom lights in small recesses, illuminating artwork or providing atmosphere around tile work, etc.
- Decorative Lighting — Additional fixtures to add impact – some large bathrooms may accommodate a chandelier, pendant lights or lighted ceiling fan
- Ambient Light — For rooms with high ceilings these lights provide a natural feeling, often in the form of indirect light reflected from the ceiling
Selecting Bulbs – Bath Light Ideas Become Reality
Once the plan for the remodeling of the bathroom has been committed to and design elements are in place, the final phase is to decide what kind of bulb will actually provide the light. The hottest trend in all lighting is LED technology.
Positive aspects of the LED source include:
- Longer lifespan – fewer replacement costs
- Clean-lined, modern styles complement fixture designs
- More wattage – more light – using less power
- Warmer, more attractive light than earlier offerings
- Many can be used with dimmer switches
Get The Most From Creative Bathroom Lighting
A good lighting plan delivers light in layers, providing illumination at various levels. At the same time the light sources enhance the overall design and ambiance of the room.
What’s the biggest mistake when it comes to bathroom lighting? Not providing enough of it!
Schoenwalder Plumbing provides professional remodeling, plumbing and water treatment services in Lake Country including Hartland, Delafield, Pewaukee, Brookfield, Elm Grove, Oconomowoc, Dousman and New Berlin.
To work with experts in all your remodeling and plumbing upgrades in , call or email Schoenwalder Plumbing to explore how we can work together to bring creative bathroom lighting and your bath light ideas to life Waukesha WI.