The concept of the “smart home” has crept into the bathroom. On a long list of high-tech advances in bathroom fixtures and design, a steam shower piques homeowner interest. Whether you’re looking for custom-sized walk-in showers, thermostatically-controlled shower heads or mood lighting in your bathroom remodel Waukesha WI area home, it’s all available.
Many homeowners are curious about the value of a steam as part of their shower and what it might take to have one in their home. Overall, national surveys report homeowners say it is worth it. And installation costs for a custom steam generating shower is comparable to a high-end bathroom remodel with a standard shower. Designers remind homeowners that it isn’t a one or the other decision – you can take a regular shower in a space equipped to provide steam. It’s your choice.
Begin the decision-making process defining what a steam shower is. Do not confuse it with a sauna. They are not the same at all. The first difference is the kind of heat they use. A steam system is based on wet heat. A sauna uses dry heat. In a shower the steam is produced by a stream generating unit.
A Soothing Shower Choice
Benefits of the wet heat shower include lowering blood pressure naturally by widening blood vessels. This kind of shower is also recommended for loosening muscles because it increases blood flow. Science shows that the warm mist has the ability to calm while softening skin. It improves muscle fatigue. There are many well-being traits attributed to these units – including treating the common cold. The bottom line: the effects of steam feel good, improving mood and overall health.
While showers equipped with steam generating units are used for both common everyday showers as well as soothing spa-like sessions they are not created the same. To have steam in the shower the entire space must be enclosed. That includes seals on the door frame. No special ventilation is needed inside the show, but good ventilation should be maintained in the bathroom. Besides sealing the entry a remodel to include a steam unit must provide a vapor barrier and/or waterproofing behind all the surface material. Steam penetrates walls and ceilings.
Is A Steam Shower For You
The benefits of bathing with steam include:
- Relaxation and an opportunity for meditation. Continuous clouds of temperature-controlled moist hot steam relaxes body parts.
- Healing – relief to muscles (especially strained backs, etc.)
- Allergy relief – allergies and respiratory concerns benefit from warm moist air.
- Using a shower with steam can replace soaking in a tub.
There are disadvantages to consider, too:
- Steam means a lot of moisture in a confined space – requiring adequate moisture barriers in walls and ceilings.
- Construction must include completely enclosing the shower – no easy walk- or roll-in options.
- Average bathroom exhaust fans don’t have the capacity to handle extra moisture produced by repeated steam use. Than can lead to mold or mildew.
Showers with steam can be tailored to your preferences, recalling your ideal temperature, duration and sensory options. Professional designers point out: “personalize the installation to exactly what you need, including aroma, temperature, lighting and music.” Create a custom spa experience at home.
Surround Yourself With More Than Water
By their nature, steam generating shower installations require specialized controls. High-tech controls are top choices for a lot more in today’s smart bathrooms. Custom controls are hot topics for things like:
- Mood lighting
- Music and video sources
- Water temperature control
- Leak detectors
- In-floor heating
- Digital water flow control
Many of the latest advances are moving toward being “app-controlled” as people become more and more dependent upon their smart devices.
Consider all the high-tech personal pampering features you can include:
- Aromatherapy – study’s at the famed Mayo Clinic show stepping into clouds of scented steam can reduce anxiety, sleep issues and depression. Scented oils can turn a shower into a therapeutic experience.
- Music soothes – enjoy your favorite play list while you’re in the shower. Music controlled from your tablet, phone or any Bluetooth-enabled device is available. Your personal changes are also available using in-shower touchpads. Or keep in touch with favorite podcasts. Custom speakers installed inside the shower provide real surround sound.
- Mood lighting – technically known as chronotherapy, studies show the benefits of light in our lives. Blue light is considered calming while orange is sunny and energizing. Green is tranquil. Steam clouds magnify colored lights and the impact reduces stress.
Is a steam shower right for your bathroom remodel? Contact Schoenwalder Plumbing – call, email of drop in – for help with your decisions. Our skilled, licensed plumbing professionals are ready to help. We’ll install the high-tech steam show that’s ideal for your Waukesha WI and Lake Country home.